Track 1 – Wireless data transmission
This activity is supported by the Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP), and it will use the Spanish version of the “ICTP/IUNESCO Wireless Training Kit”, which was developed at ICTP with the financial support of UNESCO.The International Telecommunication Union (ITU) also supports this project as part of its “ITU Academy” initiative. It is meant to be a comprehensive tool to help teachers and academia in organizing training and research activities in wireless networking, with a strong component of hands-on practices. See wtkit
Training of participants in the use of tools and techniques for installing, maintaining, securing and upgrading wireless data transmission networks. The workshop concentrates on solutions that are low-cost and affordable for the implementation of long distance links for small organizations. Standard and modified WiFi and other solutions will be covered as well as the emerging field of TV White Spaces technologies. Participants with strong motivation will be able to obtain the skills to later become instructors in wireless data communications leveraging the “ICTP/ITU Wireless Training Kit” that will be used in this activity.
In addition, thanks to the use of the ICTP / ITU Wireless Training Kit, participants who have an adequate teaching experience and sufficient motivation will be able to obtain the necessary training to become instructors of courses based on this kit in the future.
- Network administrators who want to learn about wireless technologies.
- People who want to install a wireless network.
- Experienced professionals interested in becoming instructors using the “ICTP / ITU Wireless Training Kit”.
- Knowledge of TCP/IP and basic networking.
- Participants in this track should download the book “Wireless Networking in the Developing World” from http://wndw.net/download/WNDW_Standard.pdf and read it BEFORE traveling to the event.