The city of San Salvador grows and becomes a tourist region that agglomerates a great number of places, squares, commercial and cultural centers, museums, besides a great amount of parks that every day become an icon of this city.
Among the most recognized places we point out:
NATIONAL PALACE OF EL SALVADOR
Located in the Historic Center, this architectural treasure has housed, since the 19th century, characters and incredible events that were extremely transcendental in the political history of El Salvador.
Initially, this Palace was constructed from 1866 to 1870 and a strong fire finished with the structures 19 of December of 1889.
Considered the first building of the Republic, it was also called “The Coffee Palace” since, through a Legislative Decree, it was stipulated that for each quintal of exported coffee, a colon would be invested in that amount to raise the work. In total 50 thousand colones were used.
This beautiful building retains most of its materials: glassware from Belgium, marble imported from Italy and wood from El Salvador. With the passing of the years this site passed in abandonment for a long time; however, it was declared a National Monument in 1980 which prompted restoration work to rescue this historic treasure, to open it to the public in 2008.
CATHEDRAL METROPOLITANA OF SAN SALVADOR
Destroyed on August 8, 1951 by a raging fire that left reduced to ashes, the Metropolitan Cathedral has witnessed much of the country’s recent history and has been the spiritual heart of Salvadorans.
The original building was built with wood and sheet in 1888 and had Gothic details, classical columns and a pediment. The current Metropolitan Cathedral was inaugurated on March 19, 1999, after more than 40 years of construction, and was the last Catholic cathedral blessed in this millennium.
His style is “Ecliptic” (Byzantine arches and Roman columns) its facade has been decorated with mosaics of different colors hand-painted by the Salvadoran artist Fernando Llort showing reasons for the country.
Crowned by a large dome in the center of the building, 24 meters radius and 45 meters high, whose interior was painted with images of the Holy Trinity and characters of the present century, the image of the Divine Savior of the World, patron of the Republic and donated by the Holy Roman Emperor Charles V in 1546.
The image of the Divine Savior, painted and sculpted by Fraile Francisco Silvestre García, in 1777, is located in a marquee of the exterior facade.
At the top is a canopy of four columns accompanied by the prophets Moses and Elijah who participated in the Transfiguration. The altarpiece at the end of the presbytery contains eight great paintings of the different stages of the life of Jesus, by the painter Andrés García Ibáñez. In the crypt lie the remains of Monsignor Óscar Arnulfo Romero, Archbishop of San Salvador, murdered on March 24, 1980; as well as Archbishops Luis Chavez and Gonzáles and Arturo Rivera Damas.
El Rosario Church
Located in the historical center of San Salvador, El Rosario Church has become a reference point between the glorious Salvadoran past and the modernism that now drives it. It was designed by the famous architect Rubén Martínez, who has also been the author of important monuments like The Constitution and the Christ of La Paz. Its construction ended in 1965.
The shape of its construction, without pillars supporting the thousands of tons of cement that were used in its eighty meters in length, twenty-four in width and twenty in height, and its enormous stained-glass windows make it the perfect place to capture one of the most beautiful images of the capital’s sunsets.
The history of El Rosario dates back to the years when the father of Salvadoran democracy, Jose Matías Delgado, ordered its construction under the name of Parochial Church of San Salvador in the first decade of 1800. It is also the tomb of important personages of Salvadoran history, as the brothers Aguilar (Nicolás, Vicente and Manuel), heroes of Salvadoran independence.
Located in the historic center of the city of San Salvador, Plaza Libertad was the beginning of the capital expansion in the middle of the sixteenth century and is consecrated as a national icon of great importance.
The Plaza Libertad is as historic as it is impressive since it was developed in multiple activities that, every visitor, will go back to the colonial era of the fifteenth century.
History indicates that in 1545, when San Salvador began as a new settlement in the vicinity of the Acelhuate River, it obeyed the guidelines of the Spanish grid. This was how the city was born around an empty space called Plaza Mayor or Armas. Later it was named like Plaza Dueñas until it got its definitive name at the beginning of century XX.
It is worth mentioning that this area was home to political, economic and religious institutions that brought San Salvador as an independent town to the Spanish crown.
Institutions such as the cabildo, the post office and public prisons were located on the south side. On the east side, the parish church consecrated to the Most Holy Savior of the World, today known as El Rosario Church, was built.
In 1911, in this same place was erected the Monument to the Heroes in commemoration to the centenary of the first cry of the Central American independence of 5 of November of 1811.
This majestic structure of marble and bronze highlights the “angel of freedom” which holds laurel wreaths in both hands. Adorned also with showy allegorical figures and medallions in honor to the heroes Jose Matías Delgado, Juan Manuel Rodriguez, Manuel Jose Arce and the brothers Nicolás, Vicente and Manuel Aguilar.
With the passing of the years and the commercial growth of the capital, the colorful portals of the West were built between 1915 and 1916 and the Dalia a year later, structures that today can be appreciated and recognized as architectural vestiges of the Historic Center.
This is how Plaza Libertad, with more than 400 years of history, is still open to all visitors who like to know more about our San Salvador of yesteryear.
MONUMENT TO THE DIVINE SALVADOR OF THE WORLD
This outstanding infrastructure that is located in San Salvador, is considered national symbol of the country. The structure was designed by the architect José María Barahona Villaseñor, which consists of the figure of Christ, on a globe that at the same time is mounted on a pedestal. This is located in the Plaza de las Américas, also known as Plaza del Salvador del Mundo, at the end of Alameda Roosevelt.
The image decorated the tomb of Dr. Manuel Enrique Araujo, president of the republic at the beginning of the 20th century. This image embellished the bed of Araujo from 1913 to 1942, when the family of the president presented the image to the Archbishop of San Salvador Monsignor Luis Chavez and González on the occasion of the First National Eucharistic Congress. It was unveiled on November 26, 1942. In November of this year the image will turn 71 years of being a monument of El Salvador.
The 6th of August commemorates the transfiguration of Jesus Christ, an event that took place on Mount Tabor in the lands of Palestine. The celebration is based on the biblical account that when Jesus arrived at the foot of the mountain, the Lord chose three of his disciples: St. Peter, St. James and St. John, to accompany him and witness one of the most glorious moments in his life as a human.
On the other hand, the mayoralty of San Salvador as part of the reorganization plan, made the remodeling of the square. In turn this plan included the complete renovation of the sidewalks, the stands and the area of the flags. The image of Christ, placed about 18 meters high, was also renewed with new painting. Likewise, the name of Plaza las Américas was changed to Plaza Salvador del Mundo.
The works began on June 7, 2010 and was inaugurated on November 18 of that same year.
One of the main objectives of the renovation, was to turn this place into an icon of Central America and a capital referent. The total amount of repair of the site amounted to about $ 300 thousand.
The Savior of the World is an icon, which unites all Salvadorans under the same phrase: “Long live the divine Savior!”
MUSEUM OF ART OF EL SALVADOR (MARTE)
It was inaugurated on May 22, 2003. It is a private, non-profit institution whose operation is the responsibility of the Association of Art Museum of El Salvador. In a short time, and thanks to the work developed by the association, the museum has become an obligatory reference in the cultural life of the Central American area.
MARTE exhibits a permanent exhibition of Salvadoran art with works from its collection, private collections and artist loans. This exhibition offers a wide panorama of Salvadoran art from the mid-19th century to the contemporary period. Also, MARTE maintains a program of temporary exhibitions, which have allowed works of the great masters of universal art to be presented for the first time in El Salvador. Its exhibits are complemented by an educational program that includes guided tours directed mainly to the students of the public schools of the country, a teacher training program and a varied program of complementary activities directly linked to the exhibitions
El Boquerón Park
The El Boquerón park is located in the crater of the volcano of San Salvador, at an altitude of 1893 msnm, the climate is tropical in height, with an impressive scenic beauty since this crater is approximately 1.5 km. diameter and 560 mts. of depth. From the park you can see the volcano of Izalco, the volcano of Santa Ana, the lake of Ilopango and the city of San Salvador. It is amazing to see the dance of the hawks fighting for their territorial spaces. The tourist route Boquerón is combined with the restaurants that offer typical gastronomy, gourmet and coffee of the zone of high quality, with services of cabins for lodging, hiking with observatories paisajísticos and bird sighting, own of the mountains of El Salvador between the 1000 and 1900 masl. From the different restaurants of this route, you can see the entire capital city and at dusk you see how the city turns on its lights to enter nightlife. In each of the restaurants on the Boquerón tourist route, its particularity is found, from the infrastructure that, in cases dating back to the last century, is embellished with machinery used in the old coffee benefits of the country. Other companies offer canopy where the adventure is experienced and everyone can enjoy a delicious cup of high coffee.
LOS PLANES DE RENDEROS
It is a canton shared by three Salvadoran municipalities of the department of San Salvador: Panchimalco, San Marcos and San Salvador, the capital of the country. It is located 9.5 kilometers southeast of the capital and is the southern border of the Metropolitan Area of San Salvador, which includes San Salvador and San Marcos. This limit makes the locality a kind of semi-urban or semi-residential residential area.
A place of great activity, you can enjoy spectacular views and also savor delicious pupusas, which we could accompany with a delicious coffee or a cold drink
In the viewpoint of the plans, we also have the headquarters of the house of culture, periodically we can find a lot of artistic activities, for example with presentations of local dances, among others.
The devil’s door
Located approximately 6 kilometers from the well-known Balboa Park in Los Planes de Renderos. It is the highest point of the whole city of San Salvador, 1250 meters above sea level. In this viewpoint you can see the area east and also the west of the whole country, you can see the Volcano of San Vicente, the coast of the department of Peace, the lake of Ilopango and also the town of Panchimalco.
Information taken from:
If you wish to tour contact:
Tucan Tours El Salvador